Sunday, December 30, 2012

"Malibu Beach, Dorchester" by Audrey Mardavich

Here's one of the poems Audrey Mardavich submitted in her application. We love it very much:


MALIBU BEACH, DORCHESTER


I only love things no one else cares about


At night Savin Hill is a small mound of lights


The bridge operator drinks a lot of water and watches TV with the shades shut


Does he get excited when a boat comes
or is he all pissed off that he has to stand up?


Cormorants dance on other people’s kayaks


We like to keep each other updated on the geese growing up


Julia knew the names of all of the beach grasses
and it was at that moment I realized I’m unable to memorize facts,
like the names of most things


maybe I don’t try hard enough


maybe I’m capable of forgetting almost anything


Once I saw a group of teenagers smoking grass in the grass and I was jealous,
not because I cared about getting high, which I did
but because I hadn’t thought of it,
going in there, I mean


the grass cave, so green and so tall.


If you dive deep into the water headfirst you can feel the cold envelop your head,
otherwise it’s fine to float on the warm surface of the water
stay in the shallow end
pee a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment